domingo, 24 de febrero de 2008

B Bar and the mascarade party



It has been a quiet weekend in the end. One of the best things has been to stay in bed until late and to have a “Spanish breakfast” with tomato, olive oil and even real ham. And of course a good coffee, I can not do without it. It looks like very good, doesn’t it?

The weather is becoming better in London, it is warm and even during the majority of weekend sunny. The spring is coming. The bad thing is that I have to go to bed earlier as it is difficult no to be woken up with the light early in the morning. I my bedroom in Madrid I could manage a complete dark but here it is not possible with only curtains, and bearing in mind that my window looks out at the east, why here don’t they use blinds? If I could do up something in my apartment I would start with this.

Friday I was invited to a birthday from a colleague from the office, but I was really tired after all the week and as no one from the office intended to go I didn’t feel confident enough to socialize with unknown English people. I was lazy; I have to do away with these fears, next time I’ll not miss the chance to meet new English people. I rented a film called: “Love, Honour & Obey” typically English, it was only ok, and the script for me was overdone and silly.
On Saturday I stayed at home during the day, putting things in order, reading one of the best books I’ve ever read: “Tuesdays with Morrie” (Ji, thanks for your recommendation!) and watching TV. At 6 my phone rang “Yes, of course, I’ll be there at B Bar at 7.30”. I didn’t want to discard this chance to have fun. My Belgian mates had reserved a table in another trendy place: B Bar. In fact the plan included also a private party at the same place after dinner.

I have to take back my remarks concerning the quality of the restaurants in London. B Bar was more ok, a menu for 35 Pounds that included three courses + coffee. Well, the problem is if you order 5 bottles of wines for 6 people…., it reminded me the dinners that I used to have in Madrid with my friends, … then the budget can rise dramatically and my friends like to drink too much! It could be my fault; I chose a Monteviejo Festivo 2004, Malbec, from Argentina that was excellent. By the way, I went to some interesting places last weeks: “Cocoon”, a Japanese restaurant in Regent Street that in average was 8/10, really good, and “Asia de Cuba”, in Soho, a fushion between Caribean and Asian food. The atmosphere was very special, the courses are very large but the quality is not great and I guess it is a little overpriced. The last one has been “Busabba”, a Thai very close to my house; don’t miss here a Thai pad. Great value for money! I’m getting into Asian food in general, the offer is much bigger here than in Madrid.

After the dinner the masquerade party was supposed to be downstairs. Some people dressed up masques, I was afraid at the beginning that we could end up with the same situation as in the famous film “Eyes wide shut” but fortunately everything it was quieter. There were not so many people but it was fun. Even I run into some colleagues from the office, I realized that London is not so big and as well as in Madrid people are in the same networks and go out for the same places. I went to home at 2.30 h, not so late but this morning I was really tired again!

It hasn’t been a special weekend at all, again part of my new routine. I think next week I’m going to try to make the most of my time by visiting more places during the day and attending more cultural events. I want to squeeze every minute here and the problem of going out at night is that we consume too much energies and in the end not always is worth it. I can not get away with it to be active the following day, so I’ll change my plan for next weekend. It is Sunday evening; it is already dark in London and a new week is waiting for me in London.

No hay comentarios: