martes, 12 de febrero de 2008

TV


TV is part of the culture of each country. In Spain I used to watch only films, news and sports.

During my staying in London, I’ve discovered that some sports like pool are more popular than I thought,

I’ve noticed the English passion for the gardens,

I’ve realized the obsession for finding a home, (“location, location”)

For finding a good place to live in Spain or other sunny country or simply to go for holiday,

There are a lot of English TV series and American films. Foreign films are not dubbed. So far I’ve only seen one Spanish film shown on TV. That’s a sample of the “incredible” commercial success of modern Spanish films. Fortunately for them, some subsidies are coming from the government. At least I try to promote as much as I can Alejandro Amenabar’s films, the only Spanish Director that I really like. I felt happy when I found last week in a Library “Open your Eyes” one of my favourite films.

The fact that cooking is on fashion. Jamie Olivier is really famous here. My manager is very clever, I like to listen to his comments and the other day he told me when we were having lunch: “cooking here is becoming very fashionable because everybody wants to show that they are able to do something on themselves. This is something new with cooking but the concept DIY – do it yourself, has been always present in English life. If I dare you to do something, you should be ready and able to do it!”

I haven’t seen so many programs about celebrities, that is really a good sign.

And there is a good offer of scientific programs above all on BBC. I don’t usually spend a lot of time watching TV but today I made the most of my evening by watching an interesting one regarding how we make decisions. It has to do with the fact that even though we seem to make decisions based on rational analysis, it is not true and our non rational part of our brain plays a very important role. The program concluded that we have to take into account that:

- We can be manipulated very easily. They gave the example of how to have a cold or a hot drink with somebody can make a difference at the time of getting an opinion about that person. If a have a coffee with a person, it is likely that I’m going to have a warmer impression about that person than if I have a cold coke. So, if you want to engage with somebody at work for example, don’t invite him or her to a bottle of water but better to a coffee.

- We have a nasty tendency to dress up bad decisions as great ones. In this case, an experiment was shown where a person offered to the volunteers to choose between two pictures of people. The volunteer chose one, but at that moment, the person who was running the experiment, like a magician, swapped the picture, liked it was a card, to give the other one. In 80% of the cases, the volunteers didn’t realize about this change and when they were asked for justifying their decision, they found a lot of arguments. The thing is, even when they could be a little confused, they preferred to find arguments to support their initial (they thought) decision instead of showing in public that they were changing their mind.

- Finally we should follow our intuition. Another experiment supported this statement. It consisted of volunteers that were visioning a sequence of pictures. Unexpectedly, they were able to predict the nice pictures and the disgusting ones. It was measured from the brain signals emitted that showed that before a nice picture was shown, the person was emitting the signal that corresponded to this kind of images. It was like if human beings would have the ability to predict the future and we could make decisions based on something beyond present. Strange, but it is a fact.

I was thinking after the program if I made the right decision when I moved here and why I did. I don’t think I was manipulated, I don’t believe I’ve being tried to dress up my decision (or maybe yes and that's whay I'm writing about some topics in this blog) and maybe I could predict part of the future…Anyway, I enjoyed the program a lot and I’m going to watch a little more TV. But forgive me if the next program that I plan to watch is not very intellectual: “Bolton – Atletico Madrid”. I hope I’ll enjoy a lot, do you know what I mean?

No hay comentarios: