jueves, 28 de febrero de 2008

Paris, city of light


Paris is part of my new life in London. Once a month I have to go to the capital of France because of business travels.

I’ve kept always good memories of Paris. It was the destination of the trip that we organized when we passed the third course of my degree. It is the place when I met for the last time a good friend. And now it is part of my new life here.

On the other hand, I didn’t have a good feeling of French people in general before moving here because of the typical competition between neighbours. In my subconscious was the fact that my parent house was burnt during the French invasion in the XIX century, we discovered this by doing some improvements some years ago when we knock down a wall and we could saw how some burn rests still remained. In addition I got quite upset when I read all the damages that they caused in Burgos at that time. Still if you go to the “Monasterio de San Pedro de Cardeña” you can see how the French soldiers damaged the faces of the sculptures because in their leaving they didn’t have time to devastated everything. And look, this is the worst part: In this sacking, they desecrated the tomb of the most important hero in the Spanish history: “El Cid”. Fortunately, a French man gathered his rest scattered on the ground, he kept in a little box and that’s why after the war they were found in a house near the Cathedral. God bless you, my friend.

But that is history. We can not judge people nowadays because of the acts done by their ancestors, it is ridiculous. So in the end I’ve changed my concept about France and even I was supporting them last weekend during the 6 nation’s championship. It can be also because a French company pays for salary me every month!

Travelling is a good thing to leave chore for some time. The trip to Paris is easy, only 2.15 hours via high speed train. I took the train early in the morning. Some workers like but also I could see in my couch two couple in their mid forties drinking champagne (an obsession in London as I've mentioned some times) and with the look of people that are travelling for pleasure. Sure they were going shopping or just to spend 2 days doing tourism.


Paris is one the most beautiful cities in the world. Only walking down its streets is a unique experience. Each time I go, I try to visit a different area after work. I go usually to the same hotel, it is located in Montparnasse, the famous painters’ quarter. This time I was very lucky, my room is on the 19th floor, with an amuzing view.


I decided to go for dinner to a close restaurant that is in Catalognia square. I felt at home, what a Spanish name! It was Monday and still it was almost full at 8, a good signal of its quality. Besides me, there were two couples of business men and a group of Asian people enjoying the French goodness.

When I took the metro I noticed once more their good wearing style, they have a very good taste and you can realize why they are the capital of fashion. The mixture of races is almost like in London but less international. It is like if people in Paris assumed very quickly that they are living in Paris they have to look like French whereas in London there is more a feeling of staying temporarily without loosing their identity. I could hear some Spanish speakers, we are around everywhere. In only 20 minutes I got to the “champs elysees”. Despite the fact that it was Monday, the street was crowed of people at 22.00. I can not be surprised when it said that more than 500,000 people are here every day. The avenue is lined with cinemas, boutiques, restaurants, tearooms and café terraces. At last, the Arc de Triomphe, standing at the centre of the Place Charles de Gaulle.

I came back to the hotel at 22.45. I go to the bar with my laptop to browse on internet taking advantage of the free WIFI. There are many people, I think when you travel for business, somepeople feel a little alone being out of home and they look for a warmer atmosphere out ot the hotel room. Even It seems like if a woman who is in a table in front of me is looking at me?? No, I'm kidding! But be careful because in these kind of hotels, full of business men, I've seen more than once a sort of "professional women" around...I decided to go to my room and I still had time to watch TV, in fact, I came just on time to watch the debate between Rajoy and Zapatero. I hope it was useful for our future!


My back was next day in the afternoon. In the train the same image as the day before. Some workers like me, with the faces looking like very tired and a group of people, this time in their thirties, with a lot of shopping bags from luxurious brands. It is clear that there a lot of rich people in London!

No hay comentarios: